Riley, Kristen & Julia

Riley, Kristen & Julia

Saturday, January 14, 2012

DIY Yarn Wreath with Felt Flowers

I had fun making this wreath with my sister Debbie!  I love the colors because I can use it all year round as decor.  Instructions below.



Supplies: Straw Wreath, Yarn, Felt, Scissors, Hot Glue, Plastic Berries, Ribbon

Instructions:

Step 1:

Keep the plastic wrapping on the straw wreath.  I love how thick the straw wreaths are in comparison to the foam wreaths.  Wrap your yarn around your wreath form.  You can start with tying a knot of the yarn on the side you are considering the back of your wreath. Continue to wrap and pull tight all the way around - you will get into the groove of it.  Took me about an hour while watching TV.  End with a knot on the back side, close to your other knot, when you are completed.
STRAW WREATH AND YARN
HALFWAY
FRONT SIDE
BACKSIDE
Step 2:
Felt Flowers.  Heat up your glue gun.  My spirals were either normal spirals or wavy spirals, not too extravagant.  Make sure when you make your flowers, you put a little hot glue every roll to keep the flower tight and from falling apart.
Tutorials I used found here:
http://www.littlethingsbringsmiles.com/2010/12/felt-fun.html
http://thecraftedsparrow.blogspot.com/2011/08/felt-flowers.html
http://icandyhandmade.blogspot.com/2011/11/eyecandy-amazing-felt-flowers.html

Step 3: 
Set up the flowers how you would like them on your wreath.  Then hot glue them on really well.

Step 4:
Add the Berries.  I cut the berries off a fake plastic twig with berries (on clearance after christmas sales).  Each berry had their own little stick so I just punctured them into the wreath in-between the flowers.  So simple.  You could also glue the berries on.


Step 5:
Add Ribbon to top to hang from nail or door hanger.
Step 6: 
Enjoy your wonderful creation that really wasn't too difficult to make, but ended up so cute!!  Seriously, if I can do this, anyone can.

Optional:
You can add crisscrosses with another color yarn before you add flowers.  I did not like mine with my blue color.  But the crisscrosses look great on some wreaths.

3 comments:

  1. Barlow! This is adorable! So cute and crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! Your felt flowers turned out perfectly - I have the hardest time making them. Good work, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!! So cute :) I am planning on making one of these in the near future.

    ReplyDelete